Hey Y’all Hey! Kijan ou Ye! How are you doing?
Looking to start a blog but need some tips? You’ve come to the right place. Read on to find out how I started my blog.
How to start a blog is by far one of the most ask questions I have been getting lately. Honestly, the only answer is to JUST START. But for some people that answer just leads to more questions. So, here I am giving you all a step by step approach to how I started All Things Simply Windy. Now to be clear I am not an expert at all. I am a newbie to this blogging hemisphere but at the start of this year 2020 I told myself I would start taking it more seriously.
To give you a back story, I started All Things Simply Windy back in September 2018. I posted six blog post in 2018. When 2019 started, I wanted to start and end the year off with a bang and be consistent with blogging but unfortunately, I only posted ten blog post. So, when 2020 came I made a promise to myself to be more CONSISTENT this time around. And so far, I’ve been keeping that promise and have posted FIFTEEN blog post. That’s what being consistent produces.
So, here are my steps to starting a blog:
Choose an audience and a niche
- What do you want to blog about? Figure that out first. When I first started in 2018, I knew I wanted to share my world and everything that I loved and didn’t love. So, I knew I would be categorized as a lifestyle/fashion blogger.
Choose the perfect name for your blog
- This may be the hardest part. Think about a name you wouldn’t mind using for a long time. Customize the name of your blog to fit who you are and the meaning of your blog. On all other social media platforms like Instagram and YouTube, my name is Simply Windy. When I started this blog, I wanted to merge YouTube and Instagram together because at that time my YouTube channel was mainly hair reviews and Instagram was mainly fashion sprinkled with beauty and life here and there. So, I figured why not name my blog All Things Simply Windy. It’s simple and to the point.
Purchase Your Domain
- Once you figure out your blog name, do yourself a favor and purchase the domain ASAP. Don’t wait especially if you are looking to eventually turn your blog into another stream of income. I didn’t purchase my domain until the end of 2019 because that’s when I started to take blogging seriously.
Pick Your Platform / Choose the Right Theme
- Figure out if you want to blog on WordPress, Wix, Square Space, or Blogger to name a few. I choose wordpress because it gave me everything that I was looking for when creating my blog. Back in 2018, I initially began with Wix but felt limited within certain areas.
- With thousands and thousands of themes to pick from, I find this to be the second hardest. Choose a theme that works for you and your needs. A theme is the layout of your blog.
Set up Your Self Hosted Website
- Choose your self hosted website. This will protect and back up your blog and take care of all the back-end issues for you. I am only familiar with Siteground and Bluehost. WordPress does provide hosting as well if you select their business plan.
Once all these steps are taken:
You are now the owner of a blog!
Get to writing!
Starting a blog is very easy but being consistent is not. So, take it slow, set a schedule of how many posts you want to create in a week/month. Blogging takes time, so set aside some time to create your blog post. Becoming successful is a slow process but if your heart is in it then you will have a successful blog.
Last bit of advice is to Invest in Yourself! You Got This!
7 Comments Add yours
Wow this is great. Thank you for sharing. I started my blog in October of 2018 and have yet to be consistent. I just did my first blog post this year and plan to stay consistent. I am researching to find out how many blogs should I post per month to ensure I am on the right path. This post has definitely got my mind moving forward. Thank you.
Great tips, I am forwarding this to my friend that wants to start a blog, she needs all the tips she can get
I have had a blog for 3 years and I must say that if at the beginning of my adventure I had read your post everything would have been easier.
Your theme and pictures make your blog look awesome. Loving your outfit!
Great tips. When I started my blog, I didn’t post much either. Now, I am posting more than I have since 2018. I knew I wanted to do a lifestyle type blog. I wanted to talk about anything. I am no means and expert on blogging but, I think I am getting better.
These are such great tips! Hostgator is also a really good option for self-hosting. My goal is also to be more consistent this year. I think I’m off to a decent start lol
Really great tips and photography! Keep up the good work